Friday, September 29, 2006

Potpourri of shit...

Yesterday was a real mixed bag for me, so I will try and tackle it chronologically. Usually there is one funny thing that happens and I can focus on that, but yesterday was so strange I am going to try and hit the whole thing.

I went to my Fitness Spa yesterday to catch a workout before I headed into work. I have to wear a sport coat to work, and a tie, so going from the gym to work is tough because it is still just a little too hot midday to be walking around in a sport coat. But I went to the gym, with a garment bag packed with my work stuffs and did my thing. It was a nice workout, I started at the "other end" of my circuit, so where I normally start on legs yesterday I started on shoulders and back. It was a good work out. Then I did my cardio, 20 minutes of a combination of high paced jogging. I feel buff. The Shit bag sales man gave me a thumbs up and a wink today. This guy is so creepy. I really wish I could put it into words, but he just comes across as the most insincere human in the world. I imagine when I am running sometimes that he is the type of person to tell his female employees to "wear something tighter" that makes me dislike him a little bit more and it makes me run faster. Apparently, I have learned, there is a class that I missed in high school. That class is the How-to-Walk-Around-Naked-in-a-Gym Class. I have never been comfortable doing it and I get nervous and shaky. I try to find the area of the gym where there will be no nekkid dudes walking around. And yesterday I picked EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE. I was down nekkid dude lane apparently and the worst part is that they were the chatty nekkid dudes - the guys that have a full on twenty-minute conversation with their junks hanging out. It. Really. Creeps. Me. Out. One guy was discussing the TO overdose while fully naked. There should be laws against it. If they can ban me from taking toothpaste on an airplane can't Homeland Security say that you can only be naked in a gym for the minimum amount of time required to shower and put on underwear. Seriously I am writing my congressman.

I left my gym and got into work, did some initial run around stuff, checked voicemail, returned calls, answered email. That kind of shit. Then I decided that I was going to run out and grab some Chinese food.

As I was walking into the store this guy... hold on... I am going to back up. The street that the Chinese place is on is a street I have mentioned before. It is filled up with people who constantly panhandle for money. I think some of them are generally needy and some of them take advantage, as a result up until yesterday I felt kind of immune to it. So let me continue. So, I was walking into the store and this guy, who looked kind of strung out, asked me for money to get something to eat. In my head, he hadn't even finished the sentence and I was already thinking, "Yeah right, buddy, eat. Sure, more like something to put up your nose, or shoot, or drink. Don't lie to me, I wasn't born yesterday." So I blew the guy off and marched into the Chinese place. I placed my order with the girl behind the counter and while they were making my food I happened to look out the window. That guy who had asked me for money for food was now rooting through the trash and eating a half a sandwich and some leftover french fries. It honestly broke my heart and I felt fucking horrible for not giving this guy some change. So I ended up buying him some wonton soup. It wasn't much but it was fresh and not thrown in a trashcan. It made me feel a little better. But there is something very raw, and very disturbing about watching a human being sifting through garbage for a bite to eat. It really threw me off my beam for the rest of the night.

While I was at the gym, I was juggling back and forth my TV watching, from videos on one TV to one of the 24-hour news channels on the other. I think it might have been Fox, or CNN but I couldn't tell you for sure. They were talking about this guy out in Colorado who took those kids hostage. I didn't have a headset on so I was half reading the subtitles. Anyway I had a second at work and I looked at CNN.com and there was a new story about this little girl (little, she was 16 or so I guess) whose last message to her family was via text message that said, "I love u guys." Again, with the broken heart. I just don't know what to do or how to feel, this morning I was reading a news story that said the asshole had also sexually molested and abused the girls. You know something. I hope that there is a special room in hell for this guy when he gets down there. And I hope that it is horrible and that he has a good long time to suffer, that is fucked up beyond my ability to put down in words what I really feel about. And believe me I am not a prayer, I am not even a Christian technically speaking, but I will pray for this girl who died, and the others that were held captive in the hopes that they find some peace in this life or the next.

When I got back to work I somehow managed to trip up a flight of stairs. I was near the bottom, my shoe caught the edge of the step and I was thrust forward, in the effort to catch myself I found that I had been magically propelled to the landing. The woman in the finance department, whose office I had been going to, came rushing out and we had a good chuckle (my first one of the day, funny that falling up a flight of stairs was funny) and I continued the rest of my day with little to no event.

But it was just such a shocking day, not in terms of what happened to me, but in terms of things that I saw going on around me. Very very weird day. Today I am going to be off in the day. This weekend a little work (and working out, which will hopefully lead to more funny stories for my new friend Hippieange83.

But for today that is all.

Tomorrow I will hopefully be in a better mood to find some blog of the days.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve been thinking about your shit potpourri for a day or so. Its funny that some days can be so uneventful that you can't even recall what you did, but others are so full, they leave you emotionally frazzled.

-You are not alone in your thoughts about the old-man-in-locker-room situation. The desk girls have discussions with the weight room staff about this all the time. Its always funny to us, but then again, we don't have to see it. Also, see here:
http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2004/11/old-men-in-the-locker-room
And here:
http://slashstar.com/blogs/tim/archive/2004/07/14/OpenLetterOnLockerRoomEtiquette.aspx

-I couldn't help but thinking that had this been the same panhandler as your previous post, he would have sent you back for egg drop. ;)
Its easy to get very, very overwhelmed and/or depressed by a situation like hunger..you can't do anything about it by yourself, but it sucks beyond all belief, and you want to fix it. What you can do is: keep picking that guy up some wanton. That’s what you can do, and you did it.

-The guy in Colorado. Ugghhh. Its poignant, I think, that you mentioned that you would pray, even though you are not a Christian. I think that this kind of thing is why I am one. I feel like so many things happen like this all the time... and it really shows me that that is how PEOPLE ARE. Like, left to ourselves we are this disgusting breed of savages, so if there are people like you, me, my neighbor, your grandma, whoever, that are good, it must be because that good is from God. Because, the news tells us everyday, we basically suck. Big time. I'm not exactly being eloquent, sorry.

-I had a stroke of genius while reading about your bright spot, thinking that Tripping Up Stairs would be an excellent band name. Alas, someone got to it first:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bobmills/tripping.html

9/30/2006 10:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home