Saturday, September 23, 2006

I am. That Guy.

I am, today, going to be applying to go back to college. I will be attempting to acquire another bachelor's degree - why is it called a bachelor's degree?

But I am honestly terrified of going back to school, because I am going to be relating to the people that I thought were the creepiest. The "returning student". Now usually they weren't that daunting. Most of the time they were women my mother's age, whose family had grown up and moved out, or on, and they had time to complete something they had not previously completed. I understood that to a point, because they were, in fact, my mother. Usually I would make myself available for study groups or what-not because I thought that by helping them to acheive their goal I was somehow fulfilling a promise to my mother. (Weird and I hate Freud)

But I am now going to be the guy that was my nemisis, if you will. The 30 year old, returning, male, student. They were a pain in the ass. Becuase, unless they were military vets, I couldn't understand what the fuck they were doing back in college. I was certain that it was to check out the girls, because as Wooderson said, "You get older, but they stay the same age." But now I am going to be that guy, and I am wondering if the people in my classes will all look at me and wonder, "What is that OLD guy doing in our classes?"

Will I be older than my professors? Will my jokes about the 80's (or christ, the early 90's) go over like lead balloons. "I think you're going to hear crickets." I am positively terrified right now. This isn't grad school type stuff, this is like 101, Introduction to squibble-dee-doo. And I am going to be surrounded by 18 and 19 year olds. And I will be gut-wrenchingly honest. I. Don't. Understand. Them.

So between the gym (which is going swimmingly, more posts on the way) and school I will be filling you will fun loving posts for a while I think.

Today's winner of the blog o' the day award:
London Underground Life
Why?
1.) I honestly thought I was the only person to use phrases like Stupid o'clock to denote an inhumanly early time.
2.) If I worked in a London Underground station this would be blog, I am certain of it.
3.) I relate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicky said...

When it comes to interacting with 1st time students, I find the best thing to tell myself is "they're more afraid of you than you are of them."

9/24/2006 06:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home