Saturday, April 07, 2007

DOOMED!!!

I am convinced tonight that America is doomed in the "healthy" department.

I blame Nintendo, Sega and the cola industry primarily.

Tonight at work... wait I am going to stop and set up some back story.

I work in a theater, not a movie theater but a play house, or repertory theater if you prefer. Anyway, we have two venues here and one of them, the larger, "Main Stage" (but not in an "Amber will be on the mainstage" kind of way), is upstairs. It is technically on the third floor of the building. There is a stair way, and a small elevator, that will get you there. Now this not a drastic three floors. It is a grand floor, maybe 25 feet, between the first and second floor; and then 12 feet, or so, between the 2nd and 3rd, and then maybe another 25 feet between the Mezzanine level and what we call the balcony level--although it isn't a balcony in the truer sense of the word. And we have people, employees and patrons alike, bitch about the stairs all day long.

So tonight, this lady (who was... obese) and her obese little son were trudging up the stairs. I say trudging because that is what it looked like. It was sad really. The conversation that I heard went something like this:

Her: Wow. All these stairs. (gasping for air) This is a pretty good workout. I could have gotten a regular coke tonight.
Him: Yeah it isn't that bad, I have been playing Dance Revolution, so I am in pretty good shape.

(This is a total side bar note, but I wish that along with the blockquote and italics commands HTML tags included an "End Faith in Humanity")

Now, what those two people needed was a comprehensive dietary and exercise regime overhaul. If their idea of taking care of themselves is to drink a diet soda and play a video game... well as a race (or nation) we are doomed.

3 Comments:

Blogger hippieange83 said...

As I have mentioned before, I work at a gym. All of the equipment and track are on the second floor. There is no elevator or escalator, only two sets of six stairs. Every single day, people show up to WORK OUT, and then complain that they can’t believe there are only stairs. I haven’t got my mind around this yet.

4/09/2007 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger KayMac said...

gosh, I am so glad that I was eating my heart healthy salad w/ kalamata olives and splash of olive oil dressing.

btw, my daughter does the workout level of DDR and it is a great cardiac workout.

4/09/2007 01:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right! The only exercise most Americans get is chewing! And what they are chewing is sugar-laden, fat-laden, chemical-enhanced CRAP! We are sitting in a giant "handbasket," on a rapid descent to Hell.

5/03/2007 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home