Friday, March 16, 2007

Two new revelations.

I don't have a car, I believe that I have mentioned that in the past. It is a fact, I have no automobile. I live in a very walkable city and I have found that the public transportation, while not perfect, is generally pretty good and gets me where I really want/need to be.

I also have a friend, who is in Japan right now, who lent me his car while he was away on the provision that I drive him to and from the airport. (I think I actually offered to take him up and then pick him up and he offered me his car.) Long story short, my wife went down to visit her parents and I went to go and hang out with a friend of mine and work on finishing up a bit of a project we are working on. Anyway, on the way, we ran over a stake that was apparently intended for some sort of asphalt vampire. I am going to lie to everybody and say that it was at least 14 feet long. But the reality is that it was just big, it wasn't a nail, it was more like a rivet from the construction site that is also called I-195. So the tire goes flat and I came to the realization that I really don't miss changing tires. Not one bit. I knew that I wasn't crazy about it before, but I really discovered tonight that I can't stand that shit.

What I also realized is that I really dislike changing tires in the middle of a gawl darn sleet storm: with ice pellets being whipped at you by the wind and with idiot plow drivers shooting snow and filthy slush at you. That is easily the one thing in the day that I could have done without. Yep... didn't really need that today.

5 Comments:

Blogger hippieange83 said...

This whole thing just reinforces the idea that cars are horrible, in general.
They seem like such a great idea, but they haven't really done anything except pollute, polarize, and globalize.
I happen to live by highways that erect symbols to the car's majesty, live in a city that once organized a criminal conspiracy to eradicate public transportation, go to a school that shares a campus with their owner’s estate, and drive one constantly.
I still think they are evil.

(See examples below: )
http://www.uniroyal.com/about/articles/08112003A.html
http://www.umd.umich.edu/451/
http://www.lovearth.net/gmdeliberatelydestroyed.htm
http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/

3/20/2007 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger Eric Spitznagel said...

Maybe your problem isn't your car, but the fact that you live in an area where it's not unusual for pellets of ice to fall from the sky.

Join us out in California. We may be destroyed by an earthquake eventually, but at least we'll be warm.

3/23/2007 04:53:00 PM  
Blogger V. said...

Yeah, Eric, there's that.

3/23/2007 05:11:00 PM  
Blogger hippieange83 said...

Right. So... when I said owner, meant inventor.

When you move to California with your car, have fun going five miles an hour on the 405.

3/24/2007 04:55:00 PM  
Blogger V. said...

Exactly, which is why I will never move to California. I am trying to also complete a series of moves to progressively colder climes. I am hoping that my next move will be to Oslo or Edinburgh.

3/24/2007 08:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home