Saturday, October 28, 2006

Well it's all uphere from hill.

I just had one of the weirdest nights ever. I sat and... wait I am going to back up.

The college near my house was having a production of William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. Before the show started I ran to into a guy that I know and his friend, whom I know but who's name is so complicated (he is Bulgarian) that I can never for the life of me remember who to say it. Anyway, the play was pretty mediocre, imagine the play being set in a Northern California village, pre California Gold Rush. Really neat concept, but poorly delivered because there were just too many bits going on, whether it was one actor playing a character like Groucho Marx and another playing it like Konstantin Sergejevitch Stanislavski or the fact that they ran the curtain call like a Benny Hill bit, it was just a little disjointed. So my friends and I went out after the play and had a small (read large) bite to eat.

This is where it all went downhill. The place where we went specialized in Lebanese food, so naturally we all had hamburgers or steak & cheese wraps, but the two Bulgarians got this weird yogurt drink which is apparently the national drink of Bulgaria. One of the guys, Ivo, hates the drink, but insisted that he gets it because, "No matter what, I know my day will get better." Sound logic, and I identify because I don't like KitKat bars but about once a year I get one just to remind myself that I don't like them. The other Bulgarian, whose name I have trouble with, said at one point, "If you want to be miserable why don't you just consume feces?" (Do you see where this is going?) Anyway, we were walking home after the evening and Ivo went into a convenience store to "get some candy" and he came out with a Butterfinger and a GIGANTIC KITKAT BAR! We both ate the candy that we didn't like and suffered through it, meanwhile our compatriots where watching two 30 year olds grimace their way through candy we didn't like.

I was also struck by the way music triggers my brain tonight, at one point someone was playing Offspring's album Smash which came out in 1994 and it hit me with this flood of memories from my freshman year of college. It was really surreal.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nicky said...

"If you want to be miserable, why don't you consume feces." A classic!

10/28/2006 07:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candlebox!

10/30/2006 11:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! What a night. These kinds of nights happen only two or three times in a lifetime.

10/31/2006 08:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home