Thursday, October 26, 2006

Gotta get better at posting more often

So good news, my friend Amy Guth submitted a bit for this blogsite called Six Sentences, and her submission was accepted which is really cool. Basically the deal is you get six sentences, so... see what you can do. So I did, and they liked it and it should be up on Friday, I will include a link as soon I get one. I am pretty psyched about it because I have never really submitted anything before and it feels pretty good to have your submission accepted.

Lately I have been positively devouring books. I have been on this real Russian kick lately and today at a used bookstore I picked up an Anton Chekhov 2 volume set and some Dostoevsky (because I am a glutton for punishment). And I have come to the conclusion that these fuckers knew how to put a sentence together. I mean really knew how to make you feel like you were on the cart as it rambled across the steppes of Russia. The scenery, everything, it is all so vivid and I am trying to accomplish the same thing in some of my writing. I should have a new posting up on Marlowe's Sketch Pad, sorry it is taking me so long to get stuff up there, but I feel like I have been writing, reading, editing, correcting, changing but then stalling, so I think I might just start putting some stuff up and you all can give me feed back when you want to, anything is good, say you like it, say you hate... well if you hate it keep it to yourself, but if you would like to see more of something or you thought something worked well except for blah blah blah, put it up there. The only way you learn is by getting feedback I think. So check back on that soon and I should have something up in the next day or two.

I was walking to the bank to do a drop off for work today and I saw two really horrible sad things. I work next to a strip club, and it isn't a nice strip club, it is a sort of seedy club. As I walking to the bank I saw this girl walk into the club, she was youngish and pretty at least from fifty odd feet away and I didn't think much of it, nothing out of the ordinary, then a young boy, say five or six, came around the corner of the building and said, "I love you mommy, I will see you tomorrow." It kind of broke my heart. I am pretty good at justifying my feelings for strip clubs, I think I sort of pretend that they are all putting themselves through Ivy League colleges and they are working on a Tuesday because their Molecular Biology class was cancelled. But this hit home a little bit.

Then on my way out of the bank there was a woman in one of those motorized cart/scooter things you see advertised for old people mobility. Well the battery was dying and the woman driving it stopped the cart in mid traffic and stood up and walked the thing up the street. The first thought that went through my head was, "Oh, how sad, that woman has to..." but then the reality of the situation hit me. If you are strong enough to push a motorized cart up a hill, what the hell are you doing with a motorized cart? I had to chuckle to myself: pretty classy stuff.

Last thing of the day.

I have a friend, well an acquaintance really, who I know from an old job. She and a band mate used to come in to the coffee shop I worked in and we would all tell jokes to each other, some of them were really good, some of them... well not so much. Anyway her boyfriend has a new exhibit at a gallery and I have to tell someone, anyone, about it. His name is Sonny and here is his site CW Rolle. So all of these pieces were done with bent steel wire. So keep that in mind when you are looking at it, oh yeah and some of these are 4' x 5'. It is really impressive and really, really breath taking.

Blog o'the day is back...

Today's winner is: untitled blog by Anna.
Why: Starting a blog is terrifying business (at least it was for me) and I remember getting my first comment from a none-related person and feeling both terrified and relieved at the same time. Anna, if you read this, good luck.

As I was writing I was listening to music by Kasabian. I am a fan of what they do, it gets me typing. Check them out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicky said...

The only way that would have been worse is if the little boy said 'I love you mommy, I'll see you tomorrow. Don't worry, I'll take care of little Jessie and make sure she gets her medicine."

10/27/2006 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger V. said...

That would have clinched it, and made it the most awkward strip club moment ever.

10/27/2006 08:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home