Thursday, April 19, 2007

"I put on a fake smile and start the evening show"

So I mentioned earlier that my grandfather thinks that there hasn't been good movie made since 1979. Which is the year that Marion Morrison (a.k.a. John Wayne) passed away. For a long time I have felt like I should put up a fight and for the most part I did. I subjected the poor old man to Adventures in Babysitting, Breakfast Club and Big Trouble in Little China all for naught.

I think in hindsight if I had picked my selections a little more cafefully I might have won him over. But then again we are talking about a man who has a visceral hatred for Dances With Wolves (and not because it unleashed Kevin Costner onto an unsuspecting and unprepared world, although that is also a correct answer) because he thinks it is unrealistic. Specifically the movie was ruined for him when a commander shoots himself at the beginning of the movie. He thinks it is disrespectful and maybe I agree with him. But he hated it and walked out of the theater and sat on a bench in the mall for four hours when my mother--who loved that movie--took him to see it.

The point of all of this is that I am starting to feel like my grandfather and I blame the marketing machine in Hollywood. There are essentially two film seasons now. Summer Blockbuster Season, which lasts from the beginning of May until Labor Day, and Oscar Season, which seems to start in October and run through the end of the year. There isn't really even a Holiday season you can count on anymore because the Oscar stuff has become such a boon for the studios and their is really only so much that a major studio can put out every year that Holiday Season usually runs smack into the Oscar heavy hitters... but I digress.

The point is that the state of movies right now in Providence is abyssmal and I feel like I am waiting with bated breath until either Spiderman 3 comes out or Pirates of the Caribbean 3 comes out. And not because I so love craptastic fluff action movies; but because they will seem downright epic compared to the nonsense that is out right now.

Oh well, seems like a really long way to say that the movies that are out suck, but there it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home