Sunday, November 19, 2006

"This bus doesn't stop on a dime..."

This was the quote the busdriver of the #42 via Hope St. inbound gave me at approximately 11:12 pm tonight.

But let me back up.

My day started as usual, I woke up. Great start to an otherwise pretty average day. I had to go to work today and it was the sixth day in a row -- I go in on Sunday as well then I am off on Monday and Tuesday. Things at my job are going splendidly some minor computer problems today but nothing that couldn't be overcome.

But I work in a theater. Not a movie theater like Loew's or National Amusement, a play house. I will never for the life of me understand why people show up at 2:00 for a 2:00 show. NEVER! First of all let start off by saying that I one of the guys whose grandfather said, "If you are five minutes early you are on-time, if you are on-time you are late." And I have had dates where I was going to pick up girls for the first time and so I gave myself PLENTY OF TIME to get there and get lost and get found. One time I went to pick a girl up and was one hour early, so I went around the block, parked my car near a park and got out and read for an hour or so, then drove around and went and picked her bup, but I am digressing. The point is that for me, if an event starts at a certain time, get there early. What is the worst that happens, they tell you hang out for forty minutes? But if you cut it too close and then you get caught in something like traffic... well what can I say, if a show starts at two it starts at two.

Anyway, the show went off without a hitch and everybody was pretty happy, a good time was had by all then I came home.

Had a great fish fry-up, then went to a party. A friend of mine turned 25 and it brought back a flood of memories about turning 25. On my 25th birthday I went to a German restaurant on Manhattan's upper east-side and drank 5 litres (it was a German place) of Dunkelweissen. I was obscenely intoxicated and the rest of the night is sort of a blur from there, I remember falling, leaning back on a bar while someone poured sour mix in my mouth, putting a cigar in my mouth THE WRONG END FIRST, having said cigar taken away from me, and then spending the part of an hour and a half looking for my step-brother (who had passed out between parked cars on 94th street. Good times. But the truth is I am pretty bummed out about it. I think I felt melancholy about the whole affair and so I wanted to get trashed, but I don't remember. But those days are behind me now and so I try and act like a grown up more these days.

But, after I had left my friends party and was trying to catch the bus to get home I had this funny thing happen. See in Providence the bus drivers don't necessarily stop if you are standing at a bus stop. I know it sounds funny, but there are a lot of overlap lines and to some extent the drivers rely on you to wave them down if you expect to be picked up, which I did, from about 500 yards or so on in for the driver. He was racing as he approached me and stopped about 50 feet past me. Honestly I thought I was walking home this guy went by me so fast. So I get on the bus and the driver says, "I saw you waving, but these busses don't stop on a dime." And inside I thought, but can they stop on 50,704 dimes (give or take) lined up end to end?

When I got off the bus at my stop I swung in to the starbucks and picked up a medium sized (no. I will not say the G. word) Egg-nog latte. Funny to me that I will not say Granday, but I have no compunction about ordering and egg-nog latte. Anyway there is this caddy young guy that works there and he is seriously one of the slowest people I have seen work. I mean he is horrible, a line of people and the barista was freaking out because he was taking enough time between customers for her to make a drink and send it on its merry way.

Now tomorrow I am sort of at a loss at what to do with my early day, I am thinking about checking out the first act of a play called Rudigore. It is free to see and I don't know if I should my luck too much about getting to work but it would be fun to see anyway.

So tonight I was listening to Stars.
Set yourself on fire is one of those great from start to finish kind of albums.

Blog o'the day:
Goes to this guy, chraussi&koalakowski, for two reasons:

1.) It reminded me of how much German I remember. I had no trouble reading about this guys travels.
2.) Seriously Germans and Japanese keep the tourism business afloat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicky said...

Don't forget the Kiwis and Aussies. They're big tourists too ... though rather than spend their money on the expensive stuff like the Germans and Japanese, I think those guys tend to be younger and stay in hostels and hit dive bars. Still. Every bit helps in these lean times.

11/27/2006 06:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home