Saturday, November 11, 2006

The show must go on... And on... and on...

Alright, my good friend Amy Guth is now long gone from Providence and I have to say it was great to see her again. I mean really really great. She is just a blast to hang out with and if you get a chance to see one of her readings, I can only recommend it -- you get to throw paper at her for crying out loud.

Holy moly was this weekend was really a theater filled weekend for me?

Thursday, was the reading and I had a work commitment to fill and so I was in to the reading almost late and left a little early. Everything went to plan and after a little work for me we met up at the Taqueria Pacifica. During dinner there was a show going on at the cafe called Songs in the key of hip hop. I can't tell if it was an open mic kind of thing, or if it was a planned event, but it was interesting to see. After dinner in the key of hip hop (what does that even mean by the way?) we continued over to Improv Jones, and saw another great show, I picked up my "frequent joneser card" and when I got home I was... A happy man.

Friday, we picked up tickets to see a production of Twelth Night which was put on the Brown/Trinity Consortium and I personally really liked it. I get a little overwhelmed when people get gimmicky with Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet as a gritty urban street drama, Hamlet as a tale of Corporate takeover, it just gets a little overwhelming for me. But this was pretty well done, it was sort of a swing dancy thing, and they used it mostly as a way to signify scene and act changes, since the stage was budget and used without any props moving about. But here is what got me in the performance... well let me stop a second, what amazes me with actors is their abililty to adapt to a situation that isn't going quite right like someone jumping ahead three lines and the others just keep going, and if they are good you would never know. Sometimes, and this is one of those times, the shit hits fan and all hell breaks loose. There is a scene in Twelth Night (Read it here) where Toby Belch is reading a note that is meant to be a challenge to the main character, Viola, from a loutish sort of character, Sir Andrew. In this particular performance everything that involved this letter went poorly. The letter tore into three pieces so the actor playing Toby was left holding a piece of paper roughly the size of a toilet paper square that was supposed to contain a letter of challenge. Then one of the props, in this case a whaling harpoon, almost took out an actress. Here is the amazing part, when everything was said and done, they didn't miss a beat. They just kept going. It was a really great performance all the way around. But that sealed it for me.

Today, I went to see a youth production put on by ACT. It was a fun production of The Tempest which had been edited down a bit - most of the kids in the company are under17. But it is something that my wife has been involved with, off and on, for twenty years and it is a good program to support. Here is what was amazing about this one. There was a kid there that gave me the distinct impression I am going to be saying, "I saw that guy when he was 17 in children's theater." He was that good.

Anyway, that is about it for my weekend. I have found myself listening to one band a lot these days they are a band called "The Guillemots". Really great stuff, I don't know what to say about them except that they seem to have me figured out and know what I like:

Guillemots Blog
Guillemots website

On the reading front, I am narrowing down some of my books, for the time being I have given on my Eco book, it is getting too cumbersome, but I have been reading a book called The Nautical Chart By Arturo Perez-Reverte. It is thus far a page turner, but not in a ram it down your throat kind of way, and I found out that this guy wrote a book that was turned into a movie I didn't like. But not because the story was bad, but because apparently they had to pare it way down, so I am excited to get to read the book.

Blog O' The day!
Today's winner is RandomThingsToSay.
Actually it seems really dubious to say today's winner is... because I just don't update it as much as I want to and to be totally honest with I don't know that I can, but this one is a real gem. Here's why:

1.) I am a big fan of honesty. And this is honest. It sort of makes my heart bleed a little bit, but Crista seems really honest and I can appreciate that, plus I can really relate to some of the things she quick hits.

2.) I found it on the first click of the next blog button, FIRST CLICK! Do you know how many Spanish bands, Singaporian teenagers and angst riddent 12 year olds I have to sift through to get one, just one, blog of the day that I am excited about and this one, BAM on the first try.

3.) I think I like the way you feel like you get to know Crista on her blog, and personally I am pulling for her in her Christmas job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home