Sunday, February 03, 2008

"He's got all kinds of time..." -Fountains of Wayne

Today is Superbowl Sunday. I am a Pats fan, have been since I was a kid growing up in Southern New Mexico. Sounds weird, right? Well the family that grew up across the street from me were from Rye Beach, NH so I spent a lot of time watching sports at their house.

Anyway, I have a couple of thoughts about the game. First off, Pats will probably win. Couple of things that will play in their favor. One, is that they are playing a game against a Manning and the opposing quarterback isn't named Grossman this time. If any other quarterback had played for Chicago Peyton would still be winnless in big games and I stand by that.

The Pats have the experience in the big games, the Giants don't.

I have heard a lot of people say that the Pats were lucky to beat the Chargers. Well the Giants were lucky to beat the Cowboys and the Packers. Both games came down to the final plays and I would say more than anything that stupidity on the part of the quarterbacks for the other teams led to the wins (Romo threw up a duck that was intercepted in the endzone, and Favre, in overtime, threw an interception that was converted into a field goal later). The fact that the Giants kicker FINALLY kicked the field goal on the third try is a testament more to his tenacity than his skill.

Last thing, I have heard a bunch of people say that the Pats aren't as good as they were at the beginning of the season. Maybe I am over thinking this one, but I am going to give Belichick a lot of credit here. He is not a stupid guy. I will stand by this opinion under oath, should Arlen Specter (R, PA) want to waste more Government time and have me interviewed by the Judiciary Committee.

Here is my opinion about the high ankle sprain. What was the big number one news story about the Patriots before the game with the Chargers? Anybody remember? It was Randy Moss and this girl down in Tampa. How many stories have come out about it since the day that Brady was filmed with the ankle sprain? I don't know but I would wager that outside of Tampa it is somewhere between zero and four. My theory: There was absolutely nothing wrong with Brady. Being the team guy that he is he put on an air cast, went for a walk outside his supermodel girlfriend's house and let the idiot talking heads take care of the rest. Show up late to a couple of practices and voila, the team is focused the opponents are confused and nobody is talking about Randy Moss.

I also think that the Pats underplayed the last six games to make for shitty tape to analyze. Most of the way the other teams prepare for their opponents is through tape, right? So if you give them tape that isn't very good, then you take away their ability to prepare. I have always thought that Brady and Belichick underplayed the Colts, just so that they wouldn't be able to use it against them in the big games.

Now I don't think that Tom Coughlin and the Giants are going to be a walk in the park but I don't think that a team of rookies, and inexperienced big game players are going to be enough to beat a team that is willing to be self-sacrificing in the extreme to win.

We will see what happens I guess. A woman at work asked me who was going to win; my guess was whoever scored more points. I stand by that too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home