Monday, January 07, 2008

"The sun shining bright, everythings seems alright when we're poisoning pigeons in the park." - Tom Lehrer

Chalk up this scene into the things I can't unsee column. I was walking to go and grab breakfast with Lovely Wife Sunday when we saw a small group of sparrows feasting on a pink mass of vomit. I wish I was kidding but alas I have a witness to it. It was pretty damn gross.

All of the grossness aside I have the wonderful prospect of a couple of days off coming up and I am really beside myself with joy right now. During the holidays I worked from mid-November to New Year's Eve with only two days off, which is pretty brutal, I am still a little groggy. My goal for the vacation is to make a little headway into a writing project that I have been doing some research on for a while. I am also hoping to finally cash in a gift certificate from my 30th birthday (yes it is eighteen months old). And I am, fingers-crossed, going to start taking fencing lessons. I am sort of hoping that the first lesson covers the classic line, "My name is Eniego Montoya..."

Outside of writing and finishing Atonement, the novel by Ian McEwan, I have no other goals which is pretty damned amazing.

I have been thinking of something lately that is a little more obtuse and harder to articulate. I have this nasty habit of not being afraid of talking to people. It doesn't matter the context either; people standing on a street, sitting on the bus, at a restaurant, etc., I will talk to anybody. Sometimes it gets me into trouble and I regret it in the long run. I can think of a couple of situations where I have invited some insanity into my life by striking up an unprovoked conversation. But most of the time it turns out to my advantage and the end result is that, as I walk around town, I am constantly running into people that I know. The downside I suppose, is that I feel like an ego-maniac when I can't take twenty steps without seeing someone I know.

Now I wouldn't say that these people are my friends but I am not going to not acknowledge that I I know them. So I will typically wave and smile. Now for the obtuse part; why is it so nice to have someone smile at you? What is it about an act of genuine good-will that is so heartwarming. I am sort of wondering if we all smiled at people on the street more if this wouldn't be a better place in grand terms.

I am sitting at Starbucks as I type this up and a woman that I have never spoken to, but see here often came in and smiled. It feels nice: reminds me that we live in, or share, the same space with people.

If you read this during the day, and it isn't too late. Smile at somebody on the street, or wave or whatever feels natural to you and let me know what the response you get is.

Well off to tackle some writing. I will certainly send an update when I take my flying lesson.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, and just the act of smiling will make you feel better.

1/09/2008 03:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home