Friday, November 09, 2007

"Let my love open the door to your heart" -Pete Townshend

I think that if I was ever going to make a list of the 100 favorite songs of all time, that Pete Townsend ode to love would be on the list, and it would be one of about fifteen or twenty that are guaranteed spaces. Tonight I saw Dan In Real Life a movie featuring Steve Carrell, Juliette Binoche and cast of others.

I think the scene that sums up the movie is one where Carrell is playing the guitar with his brother serenading a girl to a song he doesn't really know that well. It is this incredibly endearing scene and it features Let My Love Open The Door and it just makes sense.

There are a couple of other things that this movie does well.

First, it seems to capture big family life well. I don't come from a big family but it is big enough that I know what it feels like when everybody starts to really get close, and not emotionally, but physically. The movie takes place in a house that is pretty obviously filled to the brim with people and then all the hilarity ensues. But that isn't the real treat.

The real treat is watching Steve Carrell. Finally there is someone to take the mantle of humanitarian comedian from Steve Martin. Steve Martin was at his absolute comedic best when the moments were steeped in sadness and Carrell has the same ability to sink himself so far into the hearts of the audience that when the tragedy strikes you can see the pain and the hope that he has and you can't help but laugh along.

The film is expertly directed and I think my favorite part were the scenes that were shot around Providence. There was a coffee shop that was converted into a place called Yumm's for the movie and seeing it in the film was really sweet, because you know I have been there.

I am a total sucker for the romantic comedy and this one is a great. The tension between Juliette Binoche and Carrell and later Dane Cook--who does a much better job than I would have given him credit for--is incredibly real. They have this ability throughout the movie to shoot these wicked furtive glances back and forth it is really about as amazing a movie as you could hope for.

Here is the best part: the soundtrack, by Sondre Lerche, is about as good as they come.

If you have nothing better to do in the three days find a theater playing this movie and go see it. You won't be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home