Saturday, October 20, 2007

"Won't you take me to, Funky Town."

Something about the seasons in New England sets me in a weird funk around this time of year. I don't know if it is the weather change or the pressure systems that move up from the left overs of Hurricane Season in Florida, but something sends me into fits of melancholy every year right at this time. And it is starting to freak me out.

I have spent the entire morning slouching in a chair reading a book, and listening to the new Radiohead album.

I agreed to pay seven pounds for it. Which is a US equivalent of around fifteen dollars. Here's why. I want to reward the experiment. The reason that music is expensive is because it is easy to steal and people take advantage of that. But the issue for me is that if everybody paid a little bit the music would become less expensive. Anyway, this isn't a soapbox kind of day for me. I know that I have friends who think that music should be free but they are wrong. I am convinced that an artist has the right to make some money for his art, so I agree to pay for it.

Anyway In Rainbows is a great album. I really like it. Couldn't be happier, best seven quid I have ever spent, it even beats my London Monopoly board.

One last piece of news, I had promised, ages ago, a comprehensive review of one of my favorite books ever, Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising, and it should be up tonight or tomorrow. I am finishing up the book today and will have my review of the movie and book up simultaneously.

WOOT!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nicky said...

I'm glad you agreed to pay 7 pounds for the album. I think you're right that artists should be paid, and I think there will be a lot of people who take advantage of this experiment.

10/20/2007 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

While I would not go so far as to say that all music should be free, I do think that artists (and more especially record companies) need to adopt new revenue models that reflect how people obtain and listen to music in the 21st century. I could have gotten the Radiohead album for free, but I paid $5.45.

10/22/2007 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger V. said...

There was a great article about a young woman from Ireland who the powers that be in the music industry figured to be a great pop success. They gave her an advance, a limo on her birthday for her friends, an apartment and recorded and album, then decided they hated it and rerecorded it. Total expense on this poor girl was close to a million dollars.

That is the problem with music. Spending a million dollars on trying to make a star, rather than researching bands with great regional bases and bringing them to the next level.

I think that ultimately the band needs to be able to support itself. A great voice all by itself is just about good enough to get you in the church choir.

10/22/2007 11:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if you are already feeling melancholy, p'raps the notable un-jolly Radiohead is not the best choice to get out of a funk. I suggest you listen to Fergalicious! Peppy, makes you shake your bum - give it a shot.

10/22/2007 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger V. said...

Here is the thing with Fergalicious. I have a friend named Steve who did Fergalicious at Karaoke and he owned it. So now I will be thinking of six foot tall bearded Steve... hey you know what it is working.

10/22/2007 09:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home