Sunday, August 26, 2007

There have been some news stories circulating lately that have made me, as my friend Guth says, "Launch into cartwheels of rage."

First was an article on CNN.com a couple of days ago titled US Officials Rethink Hopes for Iraq Deomcray. The gist of the article is that the region isn't stable enough to support a democracy and maybe stability should be our primary concern.

Hmmm... Isn't that why the CIA put Sadam Hussein in power in the first place. I am not going to try to defend Hussein, I think he was as vile a human being as there ever was, but I am not sure that I understand the logic of destabilizing a country just to get a different military dictator in position. I have a ton of opinions about the whole Iraq issue and one of them involves troop withdrawal. And the short of it is that, at the expense of sounding contrary, we have an obligation to be there at this point. Waltzing in, destroying the stability of a country and then saying something to the effect of, "Whoops, my bad, good luck," is about the worst PR move the US government could do; and in all honesty if the world revolted againsts us because of it, I wouldn't blame them.

(And just in case some lonely FBI agent intern has to read this blog post and make notes on whether or not I might be a terrorist. I am not, I am just pissed off enough to consider voting again and you should take a good long look at your life if your job, your bread winning fucking job is to read shitty blog posts like this all day. That said, I hope you had a nice weekend; I did, I went to a water park in New Hampshire--in a Ford Mustang.)

The second article that had me all bollocks up was about everybody's favorite dog killing quarterback, Michael Vick.

Gist of this turd of news is that the NAACP said that Michael Vick shouldn't lose his job for being a conspirator and financial backer of a dog fighting kennel; and on top of that, killing dogs through "collaborative efforts".

Here is why he is wrong.

Michael Vick is an ambassador of the National Football League. He has engaged in an act of atrocity so profane (killing animals for no other reason than joy and pleasure) that the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons (who have stuck with him through two gigantic rehabilitations) have had to endure three months of the worst publicity possible. If either one of them didn't take the action of suspending his contract or firing him can you even imagine the shit storm of bad PR that they would have to put up with. If I was in charge of either organization I would shit-can on principal, let alone legality. He is a dick-head and a chump.

The thing is that Vick should have been smarter.

This really gets me riled up.

(See FBI Person, I am not a bad guy, I drive American cars, and like dogs. Here is another link you should check out. It is a picture of my favorite breed of dog from the AKC:the Bulldog. Since we are having this moment, I don't know when it became my favorite but it is pretty recently. I used to only like Golden Retrievers and Labradors, but for some reason I like Bulldogs lately.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Better be careful, I think that Bulldogs might be Commie dogs.

The thing that amazes me about the Michael Vick situation is that the NFL, apparently, is just as (if not more) concerned over the fact that he was gambling on the dog fights. Really? Is that the problematic part?

8/27/2007 01:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home