Thursday, November 15, 2007

"time f'r turning over and over" -Sonic Youth

You know sometimes I sit and look at the time between posts and I honestly can't remember where the hell my life is going. It is a surreal feeling when time passes as quickly as it has lately.

So I guess I will just give a quick update on the things that are going on in my life and one of the recent joys of downtown living that I got exposed to.

First, music, music, music. I have been on a freaking tear lately. I am not a person who typically makes playlists; but for some reason I have been doing that a lot lately. It is a fun way to rediscover your old music. I didn't realize, for instance, that I had as much Magnetic Fields as I do. Probably the result of my friend Dr. Josh, who is musical pimp most of the time.

Book Books Books, I am reading a book that spawned at least two movies (and I heard a third is in the works). But it reminds how much more fun reading is then watching movies or TV. The book, which is called Night Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko is pretty fascinating. My favorite part is underlying theme of duality and also about the fine line between good and evil. The story of the book is principally about two equally powerful forces of Others, a group described as magically empowered people, but not human. The forces of Light and Dark (similar to Susan Cooper for those of you regular readers) have maintained a balance of power designed to not destroy the world. But the downside is that it creates this moral vacuum where neither good or evil is quite what it seems. I am a little over half-way through and can't recommend it enough.

The last thing I suppose I have to mention is that I just signed up for a Facebook account. I feel like I sold a little piece of myself to do it, but in the long run it is probably not the end of the world. The benefits of it are that I just found two people that lived up the street from me when I was a kid. So reconnecting with old friends is wonderful... Yea that.

There is a lot more to come, down the pipe. Christmas Carol starts at work soon and that always provides for funny anecdotes.

Last thing. Living down town is freaking awesome (and I don't use the term freaking lightly). Providence is having a homelessness awareness week. Homelessness is horrible and we are too rich as a country to allow it to happen. It makes me hate people that have three and four homes and complain about mortgages. Anyway, I don't know if this was a crazy perf art thing, or if this was a legitimately wacky lady, but I was waiting for Dr. Josh and Dr. Bad to come and pick me and Lovely Wife up for a double date (Dr. Bad is a girl and she is truly bad-ass). As we were standing on the street a woman went by in a house dress. On rollerskates. No Shit. She was yelling about her homelessness how the shelter up the road wouldn't take her in, and how despite all of that, she was still getting around, "ON SKATES NO LESS" (her words, not mine). The best part though was that one point she started singing "War" by Edwin Starr. You know the one:

"War, huh, what is it good for? Absolutely Nothing."

Yeah that one. It was awesome. I love living downtown.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Not that I would ever ever ever wish for more homelessness in the world, but...isn't there part of you that kind of wishes that wasn't a performance artist?

11/15/2007 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger V. said...

Well this is a point where my daftness for performance art comes in. Because I think that you should see a performance art piece and say, "Oh I get, he is being [insert description]". Like irreverant, ironic, whatever.

But this was definitely not a performance art piece.

11/15/2007 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Nicky said...

She was just awesome. "On skates no less" -- best line from a real-live-person ever.

Nice post V.

11/15/2007 06:29:00 PM  
Blogger Goodrich Not The Tire said...

find me on facebook. make me your friend. It's my regular name...

11/20/2007 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

facebook scares me.

i am on there, and all these people send me things, and i don't understand them.

can't i just have my name there?

11/21/2007 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger V. said...

Quin, I totally hear you. The thing that startles me about Facebook is the amount of information it gives out. V. just posted something on so-and-so's wall. YIKES! I see Facebook ruining relationships here.

11/21/2007 09:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home