Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"Who do you need? Nobody! Well you're lucky nobody's around." -Bishop Allen

I have a gigantic bone to pick with The Media. Specifically the .com media sources. The bone is best summed up like this. You Suck!

Now I will explain a little bit more.

No, wait. I am going to qualify my emotion behind this first. I think that politics in America sucks; and I am going to blame every news media source.

See I think that somewhere politicians are a lot like me, angry young men and women who get sick of walking past hungry, homeless, impoverished people and decide that the time to stand up and do something about it is now. So they take action and start a campaign to change something locally and it escalates and then they run for something else and so and so and so on.

What the shit the media groups do to fuck it all up for us is they target the people that will sell papers and hype the shit of stories involving those two people. I think that if the American Public where made more aware of the platforms of Dennis Kucinich, Bill Richardson and John Edwards there might be a real opportunity to effect some change in a country that desperately needs it. Shit, I am so sick of this I will extend the same courtesy to Ron Paul.

But The Media (and it fucking kills me to use capital letters on that) has decided the Democratic nomination should be between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. I don't need to point out that they are both minority candidates and it would be an amazing story to have either the first woman or the first black president sometime before I turn forty, but still. They are both establishment candidates and I would love to be a fly on the walls of either Kucinich or Paul's war rooms when CNN.com announces that Americans are making change a priority in the election.

I wonder if poor Kucinich is banging his head against the wall saying, "Am I taking crazy pills here?"

Part of the reason that it makes me so damn angry is that I happen to have met Bill Richardson and I think that the US would be a much better place with him in charge of things at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. But we will never know. He is an environmentalist, a minority (he is of Mexican decent) a wonderful diplomat, (I have heard rumors that Colin Powell used to call him daily for advice when dealing with foreign diplomacy issues).

But the thing about it is that I am convinced that if any candidate got elected The Media (and again, I hate myself right now) would find a way to turn on them, regardless of the esteem of the public. And I feel this largely because the News Media is a business. They make money by selling papers and clicks on websites. That is why all of the edgy talking heads (I am specifically talking about the dipshits like O'Reilly, Chris "Mine goes to 11" Matthews, Bow-tie dick-head from Point Counterpoint, pretty much anybody from Fox or MSNBC... It doesn't matter they are all the same) are loud and theatrical. Because we stop the channel flicking and listen to what they have to say.

But look it is really sad to me when the best news source in the US is a comedy show on a basic cable COMEDY NETWORK!

I know I am all over the place on this but you have to understand the cartwheel of rage in my mind.

The Primary elections are the place where we, as Americans, are supposed to be able to find the candidates that appeal to us, speak to us in a metaphysical sense and evoke in us the spirit of America that we most identify with. And I would be shocked out of my knickers if 100 people polled on the street could name everybody that was involved in the Democratic Primary this year.

I wonder if, in a purely unscientific survey, we searched MSNBC, CNN and Fox New websites for articles on each of the people in the primary elections what percentage of news is directed at the top two candidates and what guys like Kucinich and Ron Paul get? I would wager my wrist watch that the bottom four don't even come within half of the top two. (And I love my wristwatch.)

I still can't help but think that we are doomed in this election. And between media interests, special interests, and a shaky international diplomatic reputation I don't know what we can do.

Ugh!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is why I decided not to run for president this year. Do you think the coverage will be any better in 2012 or 2016?

1/10/2008 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger V. said...

I think that if somebody who was technologically savvy were to get involved you could run an entire campaign off of Facebook or Myspace. I really do.

You have a ton of access to people and a great way to get your message out.

Imagine being able to directly answer questions in an open forum that anybody can participate in.

I won't run for President because I am to self-centered. If I ran and won... well never mind.

1/10/2008 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger Lauryn Smith said...

I was also disappointed to hear about Bill Richardson.

1/10/2008 05:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home