Thursday, January 17, 2008

"My stupid mouth has got me in trouble..." -John Mayer

Leave it to an honest mistake to spark a big stupid fire.  

Seriously, did Golfweek really go out and put a noose on the cover of their magazine?  You know I totally support the rights of a person to make a mistake using a word on the air in the moment when your job is to provide color banter.  

But a premeditated cover designed to incite more animosity in an already touchy subject is just reprehensibly irresponsible, and it deserves a judicious response.

I really think that the publisher, the editor-in-chief and the graphic designer of the magazine should lose their jobs on this one.  I think that the magazine should lose a healthy chunk of their advertising revenue and if people boycotted and picketed the offices it wouldn't bother me at all.  What they did was stupid.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, we are totally in agreement on this one; on both sides of the coin with the commentator and the magazine (even though the historian in me really cringes that someone wouldn't realize the weight of the term lynch but...maybe it's the teacher in me that forgives, knowing what people know of history).

The cover though...I really just stared with my jaw agape when I first read about that.

1/18/2008 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Madam Z said...

I agree with you, 100% (even the part about Imus)! I read later that a couple of them were fired.

1/20/2008 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger V. said...

According to ESPN the company that publishes the magazine did, in fact, fire the editor-in-chief. The gave a lame apology that said something like we didn't know it would be this inflammatory, blah blah blah, mea culpa, mea culpa.

Not enough though. Not enough for that.

1/20/2008 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home