Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"...to Boston..."

So... Last night was another fruitful trip on the train up to Boston.

The ride was uneventful except for the fact that next to me, was a woman and a boy that I assume was her son. The boy was plugged into a laptop watchng School of Rock and the mother-figure was working on a project for school it seemed. Just as the train started to pull away from the station I heard one of those tell-tale sighs that just perfectly highlights the persons thoughts.

Then she started shaking her head back and forth and laughing to herself as she worked on her project.

Up in Boston we met with a friend of my wife's whom she knew from a children's theater group. It was a really nice evening, I had met the girl a couple of times before and she is one of those really vivacious people that laughs with her whole body and has a great story for just about any situation.

The place we went to... not as awesome. It was pub grub so the menu is what you would expect, sandwiches, some over cooked pasta dishes but it was cheap and that was the most important thing.

While we were there, however, I became aware of something. The United States is lying to us. And not in the way you are thinking, not the starting wars, misusing taxes, or any of that marginalia. This is big. I am convinced, that the world is much, much farther along with cloning technology than we had been led to believe.

As support I provide you three restaurants in Boston and Providence that employee three waitresses that could be triplets. They are all medium height: let's call it 5'5". With dark brown curly hair and hips and just that kind of all-American girl look. If you need help, check out Doc Hollywood's Julie Warner. Anyway, so this clone, and last night we called her G57, I swear she looks like about ten other waitresses, counter help people that I know from around town. And that sort of got me thinking, you know how people say, "Oh you look just like so-and-so," or, "You look so much like my friend Squibbledy Bob." What if that is because you are that person, or rather because the Cloning Company has your DNA and they are just pushing out carbon copies of you willy-nilly. Wouldn't that be freaky? Luckily for me, there isn't much demand for tall, doughy in the midsection, sarcastic, dickheads. So I am pretty safe, but it sucks for the person that G57 was based on.

On the train ride home I overheard a soul aching conversation. It went something like this:

The scene takes place on a commuter train, it is mostly empty, there are two couples sitting across the aisle from one another, one is doing a cross word puzzle in a local tabloid newspaper, the other is sitting across from each other. They are not a couple in the sense that they are in a romantic relationship, they are co-workers or business associates. There is also a girl sitting two seats away prattling on a cell phone inaudibly.
Girl: ... I really got into Shakespeare when I took an American Literature class.
Boy: Oh. Yeah. I go to the Shakespeare in the park, like every year.
Girl: This year they are doing Titus Androgynous.


At this point I have to stop, because I am not embellishing and I really want to embellish but that would make these two seem more ridiculous then they were already. But seriously, folks, and I can't stress this enough, if you don't know something make sure you say it really loud, that way you aren't compounding ignorance and inaudibility (Strunk & White, Elements of Style. pg xviii). Not to mention there will be someone around you whose day you will make.

The ride home was as awesome as ever, because the cabbie, I am convinced, had a twelve pack of empty Hamm's cans in the back. If you are ever in Providence for any reason I strongly endorse Big Daddy's Taxi over any other taxi company. The logo is cheesey but it is a very well run cab company. Stay away from any cab company featuring a person's name; Gonsalez, Richard's, etc,.

On a personal note, I am in the middle of having my ass handed to me by allergies.

1 Comments:

Blogger hippieange83 said...

I once went to a community college production of Titus Androgynous, where three highschool students (easily identifiable by leatter jackets) LAUGHED through the entire thing.
I wonder how long until they will crank out robot versions of the G57 for household use. WAIT!!! Maybe all of the G57's ARE robots!

5/02/2007 02:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home