Wednesday, July 02, 2008

"I left my heart in San Francisco..." - Tony Bennet et al.

I am displaying all the television symptoms of depression. I realized this this morning when I didn't pry myself from bed until eleven o'clock. My excuse is basically that I don't have anything to do which is a half-truth because the stuff I do have to do can be done from the safety or comfort of my bed.

Luckily I know what the major contributing factors are:

1. Getting all prepped up for a Japanese Zen summer of working and zazen, and then having it taken away by the forest fires in California is a huge factor. I was looking forward to actually experiencing something of a Soto Zen lifestyle and to get a taste of it--twenty hours worth--and then be evacuated is tough. Because I am back to the academic analysis of it. BOOORRRING!

2. San Francisco might be my favorite city of all time, and I was only there for two days. They have nice enough weather, they have a great literary scene with tons of great book stores, tons of great restaurants and an incredible Chinatown. It might qualify as a perfect town for me. I was actually heart stricken when I my plane took off and I think that if I had a reason for staying, family or loved ones there I might have wept. Rarely does a city have that strong of a pull on me so quickly.

So today the goal is just to get out and get Lovely Wife's bike to the shop, and mine in for a tune-up. The gears are skipping on uphills and it is getting pretty bad. It used to be something I could fix myself but I don't want to go and break things.

I saw two movies on Sunday. The first was Wanted and the second was Disney's Wall-E. Reviews will be forthcoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home