Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"The western desert lives and breathes In forty five degrees" - Midnight Oil

I am typing up this blog post from Los Gatos, CA to let everybody know how it is going in the Buddhist Monastery were I was staying.

It isn't because on the 23rd they evacuated the place because of a three fires (that are now two fires because some of them have converged) that were surrounding the place. I am sitting at a friend's father's house drinking coffee, looking at a koi pond and thinking about taking a swim. Not exactly Buddhist meditation, I know.

Here was the clincher when they announced the evacuation.

Head Guy: "The fire service has called and we are not in eminent danger. However, this is a precautionary mandatory evacuation and if you chose to stay we need some information from you. We need your Next of Kin, your emergency contact information, and the name of your dentist.

(Cue the hushed uncomfortable laughter)

You also need to know that if you choose to stay you are in peril."

That was an easy decision to make. I left. Ergo, Los Gatos, pool, Koi Pond, Coffee. It seemed like a fair trade to me. When they said the bit about the dentist I was sold on leaving. I actually had a harder time trying to decide between Thai and Chinese food in San Francisco yesterday when I went to go and see the city.

Which leads to me to say: Five hours in San Fran and I am ready to move there.

3 Comments:

Blogger quin browne said...

thai.

and for some reason, i thought you'd be swimming in the koi pond... it seemed very, well, tranquil.

6/25/2008 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good idea to evacuate. I just left my sister's place in Saratoga yesterday and we could see the firefighting helicopters passing overhead. If you get a chance, go to the Bocce restaurant in Los Gatos. Food and lawn bowling, what else do you need?

6/26/2008 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Shnikes! Glad that you are evacuated and safe.

I am so with you though, 5 days in San Fran and I was really ready to move there. If you get a chance, stop in the Vietnamese area for amaznig Vietnamese food. It's actually just east of Japantown. Also, the Asian Art Museum is amazing.

Safe travels...

6/27/2008 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home