Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"Small talk will be just fine, Your voice is everything" -Frou Frou

Overheard at a Starbucks:

Two guys sitting in different sections of the restaurant having a conversation about books.

Young Guy: You know who I love, and I would say is the finest American writer: Joseph Heller.
Old Guy: Catch 22, I met him.
YG: Stop it you are going to make me jealous.
OG: I read a lot, I have met a lot of people.
YG: You know who else I like?
OG: *Shakes his head*
YG: Toni Morrison, I think she is the best American writer.
OG: The Bluest Eye. They did that over here. Did you see it?
YG: Where? Where did they do that?
OG: Over here. *gestures behind his head* at the Black Rep. They did it.
YG: Was that Toni Morrison?
OG: Have you read her?
YG: Just her criticism. She is one of America's finest. She invented the dual minority classification in literature. The concept that a character can be both black and also a woman. She is great I have read all her work.
OG: I like James Patterson, he is what I call four hour fiction. I can read one of his books in four hours. I read a lot. You wouldn't even believe it.


Meanwhile your's truly is sitting in a chair bearing witness to this exchange feeling like I somehow stepped into a Hemingway short story that got lost.

2 Comments:

Blogger quin browne said...

people who talk like that make me twitch.

6/17/2008 09:26:00 PM  
Blogger Nicky said...

This is the kind of conversation that makes sitting in a starbucks worthwhile.

6/17/2008 10:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home