Thursday, August 24, 2006

Weirdest damn thing I have ever seen at 8:30 in the morning

I was walking to work this morning. And outside of one of the down town complexes there was a group of 17 people standing around in a circle and talking... loudly. I didn't make much of it, thought it was maybe a tour of a building, possibly the prelude to a hostile takeover, maybe a strike, I didn't know and I wasn't really that interested. So I popped into a coffee shop, got my large coffee with room and popped back out side.

WHEN LO-AND-BEHOLD ALL MANNER OF CRAZINESS WAS GOING ON!

The 17 people weren't standing in a circle anymore, they were lined up in military file, they were standing with their feet shoulder width apart their left arm behind their back and their right arm put up in exaltation. They were reciting a pledge, or maybe a blood oath, of some kind. Then they all moved into an attention stance. AND THEN... THEY STARTED DOING JUMPING JACKS!

Now let me describe for you the people that were out there and you will understand why this was so funny to me.

During the jumping jack there were five rows of three people. The first two rows of people were young, full of energy, good-looking, and really into the team-building drill. The second two rows of people were a little older and some of them maybe hadn't done a jumping jack since the first group was born. The third group, the slackers of the group were all pretty disorganized, some of them were in pretty loose file, some of them weren't really doing the exercises with all their heart, mumbling their way through the blood oath (whatever it was) not standing at attention, the were mostly just giving a pretty half assed attempt at the whole thing. Except this one guy, wearing a blue short-sleeved shirt and tie, he was giving a no-assed attempt. He was doing my favorite style of jumping jack -- and if there are any slackers that are reading this, they will know exactly what I am talking about -- the one where you stand, STAND in one spot and move your arms up and down, in a jumping jack motion. Right there in the middle of everyone.

It made me think two things, one he wasn't selling it. If you are going to do that style of J.J. you have to sell it with your arms, not flail them back and forth like you are a malformed emperor penguin trying desperately to fly. Two, he wasn't fooling anyone, know I thought I was pretty slick back when I was kid and did this at soccer practice, but if I looked that bad doing it man am I ashamed.

So that is how my day started and we will see how it ends, who knows, this might be a two-post day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home