Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Day 3 and still going strong... I am a veritable Energizer bunny

I filled out this survey on myspace and I had to write down what the first movie I ever saw was.

Here is the startling admission: Breakin. With a guy named Bryan Getz.

I remember a great deal about the first couple of movies that I saw as a kid. I remember the line that was wrapped around the outside of the Cinema 4 (back when a movie 4 plex was overkill) for Batman. I remember the taste of all the shitty popcorn that was freshly popped and it kind of makes me sad.

I like movie theater popcorn, nay, love it; And the stuff they serve up at the Loew's/National Amuesment/Showcase/Regal is shit. It is very sad that you just can't get fresh popped popcorn at the cinemas these days. Anyway.

I went and saw Little Miss Sunshine -- highly recommend it -- and there was an ad for a movie called "Infamous" which is about Truman Capote and the book "In Cold Blood". But I was watching the ad and I couldn't help but think that I had just seen this movie, that it had been nominated for a boat loads of awards and that the star had just been nominated (and won) and Academy Award. And then I started to get a little mad. Mad that Hollywood would recycle a movie that had just ended three months ago and repackage it and sell it back to me for another $9.00. How gullible do they think I am? (That is a rhetorical question.) I would love to make a list for McSweeneys of movies that came out within 12 months of each other that are the same the darn movie.

List: What is Hollywood thinking?
1. Edtv and the Truman show
2. Volcano and Dante's Peak
3. Under Siege and Passenger 57 (you can throw in a bunch of other movies into this, what I call the, "DIE HARD ON A ____" category)

There are three off the top of my head and in no particular order. It is sad that we have these high priced movie guys and tons of great scripts and movie circulating around the business that are looking for distributing partners and just can't get a look.

Here are a few movies that I saw at my local art house cinema
1. Brick
2. Everything is Illuminated
3. Nightwatch

All of these were very good movies, good story, serviceable acting, interesting effects where applicable. The point is that these movies had art house style distributers taking a bit of a chance on them. Because I feel like Hollywood thinks that we, as consumers, are stupid and can't appreciate a good movie. I mean how many times have we rehashed the story line for Taming of the Shrew? Cutting Edge, 10 Things I Hate About You (which to its credit was an honest to god retelling of the story), there was a Nick Nolte movie about a gymnast that I am not going to even bother looking up, and Step Up to name a few.

The thing that Hollywood seems really interested in is the tie in stuff. Video games, action figures, soundtracks, albums inspired by the movie.

I hate to rant, but I have been sitting here thinking of the innocense of my youth... hahaha Breakin and Breakin 2: Electric Bugaloo... now I am rambling.

-V.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame that the way Hollywood looks at it, it is too expensive to distribute a "smart" film because they don't believe Americans will "get it." The worst part is, they may be right, but only because Hollywood has trained the audience to prefer the easy laugh.

8/24/2006 05:40:00 PM  
Blogger Goodrich Not The Tire said...

Two of freshest movies....love it!

6/05/2007 01:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home